Malawi has a shortage of veterinarians. When an animal gets sick, the livestock holder often does not know what to do. When the animal dies, an important source of manure, nutrition and income is lost. This is why we train Community Animal Health Workers. They can keep the animals within their own community healthy.
How we help
- We train motivated livestock holders to become CAHWs (Community Animal Health Workers)
- CAHWs educate livestock holders on housing, nutrition and health and treat animals
- CAHWs work together with the government to monitor animal diseases and establish vaccination programmes
- Because of their improved health, the production of each animal improves and the available nutrition is used effectively
- We actively work on strengthening the position of women by involving them in our projects
Want to know more about what we are doing in Malawi? Click here to read about our current project: Livestock For Empowerment.
Matunkha Centrum Rumphi
Ziweto enterprise Mzuzu